What is D.O.V.E.S.?
Domestic Violence Emergency Services of Gateway is a non-profit organization that serves the following counties: Bath, Menifee, Montgomery, Morgan and Rowan. DOVES is located in Morehead, KY and provides safe shelter and services to domestic violence victims. All services are free of charge to all victims of domestic violence.
Domestic Violence is an act that is not easily seen. Domestic Violence is a part of our everyday life, whether it is verbal, physical, sexual, financial, social or emotional. With the involvement of our community we can be prepared to know what to do when these events occur.
In addition to providing a safe, secure environment for victims/survivors and their children, programs now offer a variety of supportive services to both shelter residents and non-residential participants. DOVES is also committed to preventing future domestic violence through public awareness and community education efforts.
- 24-hour professionally staffed hotline
- Basic needs and personal hygiene items
- Hospital Advocacy
- Court and Legal Advocacy
- Counseling and support groups
- Information and Referrals
- Assistance with obtaining housing
- Individual Case Management
- Safety Planning
- Individual and Group Counseling
- Financial Education and Assistance
- Education Programs including life skills, self-esteem, parenting, and healthy relationships
- Children’s Advocacy
- Referrals to Community Partners
- Public Education/Awareness by providing presentations on services and
- Present at Special events including health
fairs, festivals, and conferences
- Provide trainings for professionals in regards to services and domestic violence/dating violence
What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence is defined as a pattern of coercive and controlling behaviors that one person uses against another to gain power and control over that person.
A victim cannot control their abuser and their violence, however, they can plan for how they will respond to future incidents and other patterns of abuse. The most dangerous time in an abusive relationship is when the abused tries to escape. Safety planning can reduce the risk of imminent danger during this time.
A person who is in imminent danger of violence, stalking, harassment, or has been sexual assaulted can qualify for a protection order through the court system.
Residents in shelter
Crisis calls answered
Non-residential survivors served
Numbers taken from July 2020 – June 2021
Ways to support us
- Donate monetary or in kind donations
- Host a fundraiser to benefit DOVES
- Participate in DOVES fundraising efforts
- Educate other community partners about our services
- Register your Kroger Plus Card to add DOVES as your preferred Community Rewards Participant
- Host a personal hygiene, cleaning
supplies or linens drive
- Like us on Facebook
Find a shelter near you
DOVES of Gateway provides services to the Gateway counties of Rowan, Menifee, Montgomery, Morgan and Bath.
All Kentucky counties are covered by one of the 15 sister shelters of the Kentucky Coalition Against Domestic Violence (KCADV).